For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, ('we' or 'us') is the 'data controller' (i.e. the company who is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal data).
Personal data we may collect about you
We will obtain personal data about you (such as your name, email address and password) whenever you complete an online form.
For example, we will obtain your personal data when you register to use this website, send us feedback, post material, contact us for any reason, sign up to a service or enter a competition.
How we use your personal data
We will use your personal data for the purposes described in the data protection notice that was given to you at the time your data were obtained. These purposes include:
- research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis
- marketing, see 'Marketing and opting out' below
- fraud prevention and detection
- customising this website and its content to your particular preferences
- to notify you of any changes to this website or to our services which may affect you
- improving our services
Marketing and opting out
Unless you have asked us not to do so, we may contact you by email about products, services, promotions, special offers or charitable causes which may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us, you can opt out at any time. See further 'Your rights' below.
Disclosure of your personal data
We may disclose your personal data to:
- other companies within our group
- our agents and service providers (e.g. providers of web hosting or maintenance services)
- law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by password and username which are unique to you
- we store your personal data on secure servers
Whilst we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data which are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We will monitor postings on forums and chat rooms for the purpose of quality assurance and compliance. We will delete or remove any postings which are offensive or illegal.
- recognise you whenever you visit this website (this speeds up your access to the site as you do not have to log on each time)
- obtain information about your preferences, online movements and use of the internet
- carry out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content and services and to help us better understand our visitor requirements and interests
- target our marketing and advertising campaigns and those of our partners more effectively by providing interest-based advertisements that are personalised to your interests
- make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
Description of cookies
The table below provides more information about the cookies we use and why: